Ever heard of degenerative disc disease? Well, this is a condition that affects most people especially as they age. It is a disorder that tends to escalate with age. Simply put, DDD is a condition in which the intervertebral discs become dry or desiccated resulting in the reduction of spinal disc height and stiffening of the spine. It is the major cause of neck and low back pain. It is a condition that has caused a lot of confusion. Most patients think that it is a disease that worsen with time as its name imply. However, the fact that it is referred to as degenerative means that it develops with time and not that the symptoms worsen with time. DDD has caused a lot of controversy due to the fact that medical professionals have not come into agreement on how to diagnose the problem. Nonetheless, you may just wonder whether there exists Supplements for Degenerative Disc Disease.
Before we delve into the natural remedies for degenerative disc disorder it is sagacious that we make some things clear first so that we can be on a similar page;
- While it is correct that this condition is likely to progress over time, the pain from the condition does not get worse but in fact it normally reduces given enough time.
- Degenerative disc disease is usually referred to as a “disease” which is not actually true. It is not a disease but rather is a condition that results in pain due to damaged spinal discs.
- DDD is a natural part of aging and everyone experiences it even though the degree of degeneration varies with individuals. Some may even fail to develop symptoms of the condition. It is a disorder that is highly variable in its severity and nature.
General Symptoms of Degenerative Disc Disorder
Even though individuals signs may differ widely almost all individuals experience the following depicting DDD;
- Severe neck or back pain that may take a few days or even last several months then return to its baseline level with respect to the person.
- Pain that occurs as a result of an activity and will emerge at times and disappear to a low level or even disappear completely.
- The level of chronic pain per individual varies widely and is referred to as the individual’s baseline level of pain. The level of pain may take various forms ranging from just a small irritation, to severe and chronic pain.
- The pain worsens with tasks that involve lifting, bending, or even twisting. Some specific positions may even worsen the pain. For instance, those with lumbar DDD experience a lot of pain when they sit down.
- Patients feel better when they either walk or run compared to sitting or standing.
Supplements for Degenerative Disc Disease
- Valerian-the root of the valerian plant has been in use for centuries. It helps in treating muscle problems such cramps, spasms, as well as musculoskeletal pain.
- Chinese herbs such as Dong Quai, Radix Achyranthis Bidentatae, and Ramulus Mori are rare to get but are ideal remedies for DDD.
- SAM-e is also used widely in America. It helps in eliminating toxins, boosts mood, and enhances cell membranes.
- Glucosamine-is effective in curbing disc degeneration disease but is usually not recommended for individuals who are allergic to shell fish. It reduces pain and stiffness that is common with DDD patients.
- Pain management-by managing the pain caused by instability and inflammation, the patient can be able to pursue a recommended exercises and rehabilitation programs.
- Work-out activities and rehabilitation- DDD can be managed through exercises that aim at reducing back pain and prevent reoccurrence of pain. A physical therapist will offer invaluable service when it comes to this.
- Adopting a healthy lifestyle-to best curb degenerative disc disorder, patients should adopt lifestyles that aim at avoiding pressure on the spine and support the spine. With the right ergonomics and posture this is easily achievable.
- Avoid taking excessive alcohol and smoking. Both nicotine and alcohol escalate degenerative disc disease and therefore should be avoided.
- Your daily regimen should involve more movements and not just staying in one place. Instead of maintaining the same position, try to stretch, walk around, or stand after every say 20 to 30 minutes if your work entails sitting.
- Drinking a lot of water has also been proven to ease pain caused by degenerative disc disorder. You should therefore drink plenty of it.
In a nut-shell, disc degenerative disease is a condition that is manageable. Consider employing more than one option as a remedy for the condition and you will get outstanding results.